Recent Posts

Monday, April 18, 2011

On Correcting Formal Themes

I do not like correcting formal themes. 


No. I hate it.

I have to suffer reading 200 student formal themes and not just reading, I mean, critically reading it, because I need to help them rewrite their formal themes. The only comfort that I have is the proofreading marks. At least I am giving them some room to think what the hell are they doing wrong with their themes.

I hate it because I have to suffer correcting their grammar and punctuation lapses. You see, an essay with all the jarring mistakes takes a toll on any sensible-person. Sometimes, even I am starting to make the same mistakes that they are making, and sometimes I even question my own grammar because of their grammar.

The only joy that I can find in formal themes is when they share something about their lives. But see, it only happened during the first quarter, when we had family as the topic. But as for the succeeding quarters, I always have to endure these themes, it really makes me want to jump off a cliff. But I cannot get rid of it, as complaining about it will not make it go away. I check and copy-read them anyway. *sigh* Good thing we also have guide questions, as it gives their essays a sort of pseudo-order, but boy, don't they know how to write introductions and conclusions.

Want a sample?

"The importance of God's creation is very important..."

And believe me or not this sentence came from a student from the pilot section. God help me. Like, please.

0 comments:

Post a Comment