Recent Posts

Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Son's Love


How would you react if you saw a son kissing his father?
Now imagine an adult son doing this...Can't, can you?
It's rather surreal for my part, really. I was being a nanny to my students last Saturday for an international competition and while I (and the helicopter parents of my students) was loitering around the corridors, I saw this boy of twelve wrap his arms around his father's neck and kiss him. The father looked undisturbed, so it's safe to say that his son really does this.


I cannot accuse the boy of impulsivity, it's his father anyway (and he's a kid, so he doesn't really have a concept of propriety). But for him to show his affection for his father in a semi-public place (there are kids his age in the classrooms; parents and teachers are in the corridors) takes a lot of guts, affection, and childish innocence, of course.

Some of you might be disturbed with this, but for me, it's more an insight of what really goes inside the family. Our society has programmed boys not to show to any signs of affection to their family and other people, so seeing that fleeting kiss from a son shows that yes, society programs us, but sometimes, we need to break that programming and show people how we truly feel.
So how did I react? Nothing. I was unflinched, seeing that any boy who would do that makes the other one a relative. 


But it's rather heartwarming. A son's love to a father is underrated.

0 comments:

Post a Comment