Recent Posts

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Christopher Lao Very Late Post

In the very rare event that I watched news, I saw this segment where a man braved the floods of Manila with his car...And well, you know, the car just stopped. Luckily, the people around the streets have been very kind enough to get the car out of the waters.

But you know, when I saw the driver and heard him speak, well, let's just say that I started bitching 'till my housemates told me to shut up.
Dialogue Translation of the video clip:

Reporter: The bystander was surprised when this car descended…The car was helpless….When the driver of the car got out, he was blaming the government.
Christopher Lao:This is..ah..problem with the traffic enforcers.
Reporter: That deep?
Christopher Lao: Who will tell me? Who will tell me? Really? Did you tell me? Did you guys even tell me?
Reporter: Well, We were here 
Christopher Lao: Ok, Who were there? Who were those? (pointing)
Reporter: We were here. We were surprised.
Christopher Lao: So who were those? On that side? (pointing) Did anyone tell me? None. Nobody even stopped.
Reporter: But didn’t you even realized that it might be deep?
Christopher Lao: Wah, why me? Why me? (laughing sarcastically) They should inform, they should inform, I should’ve been informed!
Reporter: He will surely have to spend for all the water that went in to the car.
Mr. Lao is not stupid, since things like that really do happen. But what irked most me was his arrogance, and blaming the government for your own ass is just plain stupid. 
Remember about Existentialism Mr. Philosophy Summa cum Laude Graduate? ("Bakit ako?" means "Why me?" in English)
But I just let the matter pass because, you know, I was tired from a long day's work and I do not want to bitch about a random person. But lo and behold! I never thought that he has actually become a trending topic not only in Twitter but in the whole cyberspace. He was no.8 trending topic in twitter and no. 4 in the Philippines. He even has a hate page on Facebook. I was rather amused that I was not the only one who was irked.
This person is a philosophy graduate and is currently in Law school. And knowing this, he should be the first person who must know self-determinism; your ass, your responsibility; your car, your goddamned responsibility. He must have the hindsight that the fucking road is fucking flooded. His car is not a 4x4, chrissakes. Even a jeepney would give up with that kind of flood.



You could not blame the people who ganged on him. But I think the reason people bitched about him is not really because of him, it was his arrogance. He underestimated the flood, and now that the car stopped, he blamed the enforcers and the government? Any person can experience that, we have news like this before, but the drivers are not arrogant enough to blame the fucking traffic enforcers and the fucking government. 
There have been people who defended him, and of course, that is good. It was said that he was rushing to his 3-year old daughter because his wife is also stranded from the office. Well, it puts things in perspective, but that does not give an excuse to flare up and to blame everybody in his mishap.
And to that friend of his who was talking about suing people, well, who can they sue? It will just validate the belief that he is arrogant. 
He has forgotten that he is living in a third world country, and that nobody will really inform him unless something bad already happened (he has a point in that part), but his concern about flooded roads and information dissemination was diminished by his bitching and blaming spree. And in the end, he wasn't able to get his message across to the authorities while being a laughing stock of the people.
Lessons learned:
1. Eat vegetables so that you'll have clear eyesight and you will see flooded roads clearly without anybody informing you.
2. The government might be the eternal scapegoat for everything, but fuckin' don't blame them if it was you who put the car in the flood in the first place.
3. Never bitch on national television.
Good thing for Mr. Lao here, he issued an apology. At least he has the common decency to admit that he has indeed been arrogant.

0 comments:

Post a Comment