Recent Posts

Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Late Post - American Idol Rant

American Idol just ended and, for me, it was more of a whimper than a blast.


It's so boring I want to cry. *snort*
I have always been excited about this season because the genre of the contestants are so diverse and all of them are really quirky. But obviously, the quirkiness scared the shit out of the voters. My bets were Naima, Casey and James, but when James got voted off, I rooted for Haley. And she got voted off too. It makes me think that maybe I'm just weird.

I'm this weird.

 So, here's what I think of the contestants.





Ashton - Okay, I don't have much to say about her since she wasn't around for long. But she's got the pipes, she only lacks, what, creativity? There's something amiss.





Karen - She wowed me with her rendition of "Hero" but after that, I was bored. Her voice lacked power in the succeeding episodes.




Pia - You know, if she is in my country, I'm so sure she would win because the ability to reach those messianic notes is always revered here. But apparently, this is American Idol, so it's rather sad that she went away. She is competition, really. She is a total package; good looks and talent. You rarely find that in our artists nowadays.




Thia - Even with the support of the Filipino community, this girl didn't really make a mark. Yes, she's got the voice, but you know, she needed to up her game. She is a boring as boring goes.




Stefano - Ohkay. I don't like him at all. He looks trying hard and he looks constipated whenever he performs. I always thought that he became a wild card because J-Lo likes him. He was one of the contestants that I wished would go away but was proving to be a turd.





Paul - I am conflicted with him. Sometimes he's good; sometimes he sounded as if he was a rat whose balls got squeezed. But it was sad seeing him go away.


Jacob - Now, here are some pipes. I liked him at the beginning of the competition, but as time moved on, listening to him got boring. It was always too over the top.



Casey - Okay, I like how he performed in the audition, and his performances were really quirky. He was one of the reasons I held on to Idol this season. I have no problems with his growls, but sometimes I was like, "what the hell is that clearing-the-throat-while-singing for?" He was very creative, yes, but sometimes it looked too forced and over-acting. If he had been more natural; then he might've stayed longer.

James - I'm also conflicted with James. He's got the pipes and like Casey, I always watch for whatever he might do in the stage. He's got creativity, and being a metalhead myself, liking him comes naturally. But you know, sometimes, I feel that he is a poser. He's too pop to be metal even if he sells himself to be the latter. But it was really a shocker to see him go. By the time he got voted off, I stopped watching AI altogether (Actually, as early as Naima's elimination, I have been only watching the thing passively, sometimes just reading the yahoo articles to keep me updated).


Haley - She's got the pipes. She's got spunk. But I never saw what she really wanted to be after AI. I can see almost everybody's genre after AI. Stefano's RnB, Jacob's gospel/soul, Casey's jazz, James is metal, but her? Na-ah. But I think she should be more on the rocker side. I always like her whenever she sings angry songs.


Lauren - During the early days of the competition, I always leveled her with Haley. Spunk and attitude and voice. I like her. Her voice is so crystalline. I thought she would be a tough contender. But, no, she lost momentum and I ended up wanting her to be eliminated. Apparently too, she stayed on...but I have no qualms.

Scotty - Okay. My mother likes her. 'Nuff said. To be honest, I never really liked his performances. I like his voice, yes, and I always wondered wtf is his voice that deep? But I find him irritating on stage. Not with his mike-holding, eyebrow twitching, arm-gestures and standing shenanigans. I like him better with a guitar because it minimizes those annoying things and my irritation at him. He's too boring for me. Every week I have been wishing that he be eliminated, but woe to me, he was freaking unstoppable. And he won AI. Woe to me again.



Lambert and Bowersox, now Lauren (just between her and Scotty). Why do my bets don't get to win?

I think I'm really weird. Not that I'm complaining.

But I just hope that next year's contestants would be as diverse and exciting as them, but not as ho-hum as the finale.

:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment