Recent Posts

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Lacuna Coil : Beautiful Distraction

It is said that even before Evanescence debuted, there were already a bunch of female-fronted metal bands in Europe.

Nightwish
  
Epica
Within Temptation
And this I didn't know, because I am more familiar with the American music charts. Anyways, I'm ignorant when it comes to European music, and I was like, "where the fuck are these bands when I was younger?" Well, they have been touring Europe while I was ignorantly sucking on Evanescence's or MTV's dick. Or cunt.

So I was deeply refreshed when I heard these bands. Powerful and soaring vocals, not to mention it has the kind of heaviness that I want Evanescence to have. One of them is Lacuna Coil. I love the contrasts between Cristina's and Andrea's voice. Though they say Andrea can't sing shit, I think that it adds to the beauty of the band's sound, actually. His voice is rough, but not death growl-ish. And of course, there's Cristina who absolutely looks like one of my instructors in the university.

The Best Thing From Italy Since Pizza, Pasta and Passionate Sex
Kidding aside. I actually tried to listen to some of their discography, and I think it's fantastic. It has this Middle Eastern feel in some of the tracks and all of it are radio-friendly. It's heavy enough for me to like it and while at the same time it doesn't alienate the more casual listeners.

Now that I'm missing Evanescence, listening to these bands is a rather beautiful distraction.

0 comments:

Post a Comment