Recent Posts

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Advanced English Classes Blues

I have been ranting about my Advanced English classes two weeks ago, and thank God it's already through. I just do not like the idea of waking up during vacation when you are supposed to be sleeping in only to go to work. The pay, as I told you before, is far from appeasing me, actually, it rather adds up to my rage. However, the only consolation that I have is that I have brilliant students who really wanted to learn and develop their speaking skills.


Yep, I want them to talk sensibly. I want them to wow people every time they speak
This advanced English classes is, well, supposed to hone the whatever skills the students already have. These students already mastered the language forms in the classroom, so I decided to focus more on sharpening their speaking and listening skills.

Teaching these students is a whiff of fresh air. They are indeed very, very different from my unruly, crass, and unmotivated students from the past school year. They made me feel that I was doing something right, and that my efforts for them are not laid to waste. I listened to their monotone poetry reading turning into something more promising, I watched their anxiety as they delivered their speeches in front of the incoming Junior students, and I felt elated with their sadness when I told them that we can't have debate anymore because of time-constraints.

It was a challenge teaching them, yet, it was at the same time very fulfilling. And in a way, they made me become aware of the things that I do and don't do as a teacher. I realized that I am not at all the steel-tough teacher that my school wants me to be; I have always felt that I always wanted to reach out to my students, to be relevant to them, thus making a more harmonious classroom. It doesn't matter to me if they would consider the subject as easy, because, for me, it's actually the purpose of learning (and English is actually easy), that you are doing impossible feats in a certain aspect that you don't notice it anymore.

But still, all good things need to end. And come June, another set of unruly, crass, and unmotivated students will come my way.

I think I will miss this summer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment